Thursday, November 15, 2007

Southbound - Part I


Oops.
Originally uploaded by offyonder
It was quite the effort to get out of the skinny driveway at the Iowa City church. A big thanks to Molly, whom I met at church the night before, who came out to spot me as I backed this sucker up.

Once on the road, I checked in for our staff conference call and just as things were wrapping up, the ole red and blue light show came to life behind me. I knew I wasn't speeding, I had the cruise control set. But it was just as I figured: they had a hard time seeing the temporary plates taped in the tinted back window of the truck.


The boys in blue (well, one in blue, one in khaki and one fury friend) were very friendly and even let me get a photo with the pooch.


K-9 check
K-9 Check. All clear. Whew.
Originally uploaded by offyonder

The rest of the day was very productive. George from Iowa City had provided me a nice list of folks around the state at other churches to contact and I made a few phone calls. Of note was my conversation with Dennis in Cedar Falls who has two teenage kids and as I was describing our NYC program focused on the arts he was amazed and sounded keen to get his kids there. His daughter has shown some interest in the theater so it sounded like a perfect match.


One Week Down
One Week Down
Originally uploaded by offyonder


The Church Contacts are filling in and I think Iowa is going to be very well connected.

The sunset from I-55 was amazing over the vast flatland to the west and after night fell and I crawled through some traffic from some sort of hic-up in St. Louis, I pulled into the Creve Coeur church parking lot where Jim Andrews met me and we headed off to dinner. Another big thanks for Creve Coeur church for letting me camp in their lot.

Fallen truck bed leaves
Joyful gusty swirling
Southbound




No comments: