Friday, November 9, 2007

Omaha, Nebraska


Finally on the road! With what seems like months of prep time (not to mention that silly trip to Kilimanjaro which pushed the schedule back a few weeks) I'm finally rolling along in my new home: a 30' Keystone Sprinter travel trailer.

Sure, I've pulled a trailer before... like a canoe trailer, but never something this big. There is going to be lots to learn about life on the road, in the most literal sense ever for me. Take this morning for example.

Last night I was eager to get to Nebraska. Once I crossed the border on I-76 and merged onto I-80, I pulled off at Big Springs, tucked myself in the shadows behind an abandoned gas station and set up to camp. The next morning, I woke early (what a sunrise!) and the truck battery was dead. What? The trailer had plenty of juice, but the truck wouldn't start. I tried to send some power from the trailer back to the truck by starting up the generator, but no luck.

So... with some roadside assistance from USAA, I got a jump and was back on my way. Of course I had a nice cup of tea while I waited for my jump to arrive.

Once in Lincoln I met up with one of our trustees, Anabeth, who as it turns out was a very strong proponent in getting me the funding for this trip. Nancy from 1st Church Lincoln joined us as well and we had a good meeting about getting things going in Nebraska.

On to Omaha, where I now sit and write this in the comfort of the Wal-Mart parking lot. Ahhh... that and the pulsing sound of my generator to power and charge the very computer I type to you on.

Scratch that. The Genny just ran out of gas. Back on battery power.

Anyway, it's pretty clever of Wal-Mart to allow folks to camp in their parking lot. I'm not even much of a consumer and I just spent $130 there! Granted, I still had not stocked any food on the trailer nor did I have any office supplies. But hey, Wal-Mart got my business because they gave something of value to me away for free. I must admit... I'm still not a huge Wal-Mart fan. I know they have pushed themselves into communities where they were not welcome and force the closure of smaller stores. But for while I'm in Omaha I guess they'll do.


Moist prarie air
Flat, rounded horizon
Sherbet bars begin

No comments: