Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Gusts & Squeeze

Though I was up with the sun again this morning, I didn't rush in getting out of Omaha. I let the morning traffic clear and made a smooth, unobstructed departure. A slight headwind bummed out my already poor gas mileage. It also kept me alert when gusts from the side tried to force an involuntary lane change. Not good while being over taken by someone... especially a big semi truck.

Yes, most folks pass me on the freeway, but an informal experiment shows I get one whole mile per gallon better by driving 65 mph versus 75 mph. Oh yes, the truck has the power to do 75 with the trailer no problem... it even still has some pickup when I need it! The MPG experiments will continue.

But I like to savor my time on the road, so I'm in no rush. Unfortunately, it didn't work out to meet with anyone in Des Moines, but they were all very friendly and appreciative of my effort on the phone and they want to hear what Omaha gets up to.

Now I'm in Iowa City and when I pulled in I tried to back the trailer into the very narrow driveway of 1st Church. A poorly placed sign post caused me to go around the block to reset, but then I just pulled in head first and even that was a tricky squeeze. The true test will be backing this thing out of here Thursday morning. Here's a little video as I assume to take on the challenge:

Yeah. Right.

Tonight my good friend Japhet is taking me back west a ways to Grannell where he's giving some sort of talk to the college for the John Edwards campaign, where he currently works. More on Japhet at http://floatingark.blogspot.com/

No comments: