Monday, June 30, 2008

Trailer Tire Blowout


Blowout
Originally uploaded by offyonder
Well... In the few thousands of miles that I have covered on this trip, I have passed quite a number of folks on the side of the road changing a tire. Now I'm on the side of the road. Thank goodness for the double axle. Although, the danger is I had no idea the tire had blown out. I was only an hour or so out of Glenn Arbor, MI when a lady in a van pulled up next to me and tried to say something through my closed window.

I nodded like I understood... but really I was just guessing on what she was saying somehow thinking she was trying to tell me my lights were on.

So, I pulled over to have a look and there was the shredded remains of my rear right trailer tire. Just as I was placing the tiny jack that came with the truck under the axle, a voice from behind me asked if I would like to use a better (faster) jack.

Kyle, a highschool student from just a few towns over, was helping to paint some vacation cottages his grandmother and father run. He brought down a big jack, the trailer went up, the spare came off the back of the trailer and fit nicely into place.

It was an easy swap and it only cost me 15 minutes or so thanks to the industrial jack Kyle brought down.

3 comments:

Chris M. said...

Don't forget to do your pre-flight everytime you drive, eh, to make sure everything is working, brake lights, tire pressure, oil leaks, etc... ;)

Treat it like an airplane. you don't just hop in and go. You trust, but verify.

Anonymous said...

That looks like a horrible blowout. Good thing you had an industrial jack and not one of those small bottle jacks. Also, good thing you had a spare. The boy scouts motto, be prepared.

-Admin

http://wwww.trailertirestore.com

Japhet said...

Good god -- did you drive for an hour before realizing it? That is the most heinous blowout i've seen!

Good on ya!