Saturday, February 16, 2008

City Life/Ranch Life - Austin, TX

Things have been going very well in Austin. First the lecture on Saturday with Ryder was great. Sunday I went to First Church, the sponsors of the lecture and met the Sunday School Superintendent who already had copies of the upcoming A/U & DB event all printed out and ready to pass out to all of the students.

Unfortunately, the flyer didn't really describe what it was I (the mentioned DiscoveryBound) rep was going to be doing there... so, as I explained the objective of DB and the idea that the objective of this meeting was to get a chapter going, more people took an interest and a flyer with them. Mostly adults whose children have grown and gone, or those who don't have children. It will be great to get everyone involved as children really need to be seen as a community asset and responsibility, not just that of the parents.

Over the week to come, I had follow-up meetings with a few of the folks I met at church and the lecture, went to two Wednesday Testimony meetings: noon at First and the evening service at Third.

Today, Aaron from A/U gets in and we'll have our info meeting and camp show and potluck luncheon under cloudy and cool skies. I feel kinda bad after touting what warm weather we've been having on the staff conference calls, and now that Aaron gets here, it's cooled off. Maybe that's better for him... to ease into it after being in the snow blizzard at the Colorado Ranches.

Oh, yes... the photo above... I was staying at a RV park in the city for the first week, which was great for meeting with folks and for getting to First Church. Just yesterday, I moved out to Rusty's Ranch (see Flickr Photos) and one the ranch cats came into the trailer for a visit and tried to help me with my e-mails and such last night. He was really more into cuddling.

No comments: